FIRST KNOWN PRODUCER OF VINO COTTO (COOKED WINE SYRUP) IN THE U.S.
Added by MIF Desserts
December 19, 2017
Cartellate Recipe & Instructions by Ciao Chow Linda blog
2 3/4 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 c. shortening (Crisco or butter)
3 t. sherry or white wine
1/2 c. warm water
honey or vino cotto (traditionally)
1. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Add shortening, eggs, sherry or white wine, and water.
3. Mix until it forms a ball.
4. Knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest one hour.
6. Roll out dough with pasta machine to the next to thinnest level.
7. Cut into strips about one to one and a 1/2 inches wide and about six or seven inches long.
8. Pinch one end of the strip and then pinch about 3/4 inch all along the strip, making little pockets.
9. Bring the dough into a circular shape by crimping it together along the strip. Use water to crimp if necessary.
10. Fry in hot oil and top with vino cotto or honey that has been warmed with chopped walnuts and a dash of cinnamon.
You must be logged in to post a comment.