Roasted Leg of Lamb with Vino Cotto
Recipe and photo by Montillo Italian Foods, January 2011 all rights reserved
A simple yet absolutely scrumptious way to prepare lamb--moist with plenty of flavor.
1. Remove lamb from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C).
2. Rinse lamb well under cold water. (NOTE: If the lamb comes in a sack made of string, do not remove it. Leave the sack on and remove only when done roasting.)
3. Add extra virgin olive oil to a skillet. Over the skillet, generously season all surfaces of the lamb with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Place the lamb in the skillet and sear all sides over medium-high heat to brown the surface. Remove from heat.
5. Transfer the lamb to the prepared roasting pan, cover and roast.
• Rare: 125°F (about 15 minutes per pound)
6. Using a meat thermometer, remove from the oven when the internal temperature reaches the desired wellness.
7. Remove from the oven and let the roast sit for about 15 minutes before carving. It will continue to cook during the resting period.
8. A few minutes before serving the lamb, add vino cotto to a small sauce pan. Over low heat, bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and transfer to a gravy boat.
9. Serve sliced lamb with heated vino cotto drizzled over it.
Copyright Montillo Italian Foods 2009 - 2010