Vino Cotto Hot Pepper Jam
Recipe and photo by Montillo Italian Foods, January 2011 all rights reserved
A gourmet treat that's easy to make, versatile, and delicious with or without red pepper. Add to recipes. Great with crackers and cheese, toast, English muffins, bagels, and more!
1. Clean and dry a small glass jar and lid.
2. In a small sauce pan over low-medium heat, combine vino cotto, water, pectin, and red pepper (optional).
3. Stir continuously to dissolve the pectin. Bring the mixture to a slow boil, then simmer 25 seconds more.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared glass jar, then cover. Refrigerate to set.
5. Before the first use, skim off the top layer and discard, as this is more firm than the remaining jam.
6. Serve with crackers and cheese, toast, English muffins and bagels. Or, in a small dipping bowl, add olive oil, jam, and a pinch of salt, adjust each ingredient to taste. Whisk to disburse the jam into the oil mixture. Jam particles will settle to the bottom. Serve by dipping your favorite Italian bread into it.
Copyright Montillo Italian Foods 2009 - 2010