Figs with Vino Cotto
Adapted from an online thread submitted by “Angie”
found in www.italymag.co.uk
fresh green or black figs
Vino Cotto di Montillo
mascarpone cheese or vanilla ice cream
1. Heat oven to 325°F (170°C).
2. Place as many fresh green or black figs that will fit into a shallow oven-proof dish.
3. Score a cross in the tops of each fig.
4. Pour enough white wine over the figs to one third the height in the dish.
5. Sprinkle a small amount of sugar over each fig.
6. Pour about 1 teaspoon of Vino Cotto di Montillo into each fig.
7. Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes. Check occasionally to ensure nothing is burning. Figs are done with they are really tender but retain their shape. The sauce will reduce to a syrupy consistency but be careful not to burn the syrup. Serve with mascarpone cheese or vanilla ice cream.