Apples and Vino Cotto Streusel
Recipe and photo by Montillo Italian Foods, 2009 all rights reserved
Vino Cotto adds a delicious twist to this scrumptious apple streusel!
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 13" x 9" x 2" inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Peel, core and cut apples into ¼” slices.
3. Drizzle vino cotto over apples and gently toss to coat.
4. Pour contents of bowl into the baking dish.
5. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
6. Add butter pieces to mixture. Using a large table fork, press butter into the flour mixture to form a granular mixture. Sprinkle the topping over the apples.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, checking periodically to avoid burning. If the topping begins to brown before the apples are fork tender, loosely cover the baking dish with a piece of tinfoil.
8. When the apples are fork tender, remove the tinfoil and finish browning the topping.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream. Yield: 12 portions
Copyright Montillo Italian Foods 2009 - 2010