Excerpt from "The Soul of the Grape, Drop by Drop" by Florence Fabricant,
The New York Times, 12/22/99
Time: 1 hour
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, plus butter for pan
¼ cup cake flour, plus flour for pan
6 tart apples, peeled, cored and each cut in 16 slices
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 egg yolks
½ cup vino cotto
4 egg whites
2-½ cups almond flour
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch springform cake pan.
2. Place 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Saute 4 to 5 minutes, until apples start to soften. Spread on baking sheet to cool.
3. Beat yolks with ½ cup sugar in large bowl until very light. Fold in remaining butter and vanilla, ¼ cup vino cotto and cake flour.
4. Whip egg whites until firmly peaked. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until glossy. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Fold in almond flour.
5. Spread half the apples in pan. Add half the batter. Repeat layers. Sift confectioner’s sugar over top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until browned. Cool, remove from pan and serve with vino cotto drizzled on each portion.